Grant me strength to keep my heart open this week…
Thought for Today 6.5.14 June 5, 2014
When we open our eyes this morning we can remember to also open our mind, heart and arms too. Being open makes for easier, more joyful, more productive and more exciting days. And if we choose, that’s the kind of day that waits.
Thoughts and Quotes for Today 3.24.14 March 24, 2014
1. Today We Affirm: I am awakening to the Great Rays infusing me with Wisdom, Guidance and Grace in all things. This is a day of joyful ease as I open to receive rather than to conquer, control or get. Instead, I allow and accept. Invisible hands reach out to guide and direct me. Opportunities present themselves in perfect timing & ways. My thoughts turn in gentle happy directions. The Universe is friendly and loving.
My world is happy and Life is good. As I align myself with Spirit, miracles light the path before me and I walk one Graceful step at a time. I forgive the past and release all grievances as I focus my attention on all the gifts of today. I am filled with the Light of the Great Rays which illumine my world and draw to me all that is for the highest good of all concerned. ~ Jacob Glass
2. Who has not loved and then experienced the pain of seeming to have lost that love, or of not being loved in return? Many learn to want nothing more to do with love. This is what the ego would have you learn, for if you get too close to love it would shine its’ separate little existence away. Listen not to the insanity of fear. Go forth and fearlessly extend the Love that you are. And if that separate little you is consumed in loves’ fire, then so be it.
3. When any two come together to dance in the Joy of sharing the Love that each already has and is, then eternity is found in the moment (this Holy Instant). It is not about making plans for a happy ever after. This eternal Holy Instant is our happy ever after.
4. Love of Self is important and here is a Byron Katie “share” on “I Really Should Be Thinner”
Not all you wonderful readers have had the privilege of hearing some of my beliefs about cellulite, wrinkles, aching knees, loose skin or gas. Doh! So unspiritual! So unenlightened! So superficial, ridiculous, silly, petty, childish, and stupid!
What…me? I would NEVER have a thought about such trivial occurrences as these. I would never have stressful beliefs about thinness or jiggling body parts.
It only used to run my whole life practically, starting around age 14. And occasionally these kinds of thoughts pop back by for a visit.
I needed to be thinner, smoother, less bumpy, tighter, more muscular, stronger, defined, angular. And never smell bad, either.
A wonderful inquirer reminded me the other day that many people walk around thinking that they need to be thinner, several times a day or more, and that it is very stressful.
It’s almost as if we believe it would suck if we didn’t have the thought that something needs to change. Because then, we’d be wallowing in a pile of passivity, non-motivation, and apathy. Resigned, not trying. Never getting there. And fat. Or certainly not thin enough.
Pain Makes Gain. Right? I feel pain when I look in the mirror, or I feel stuffed after a meal and nauseated, or I have a god-awful hangover…and this pain slaps me around and makes me want to wake up and do something different. That pain gives me motivation to CHANGE…..right?
Well, have you noticed how many times you’ve thought mean, nasty, ugly thoughts about yourself and your condition or situation? But no change happened?
If it WORKED to be self-critical, then it seems like it would have gotten you skinny by now, or sober, or successful, or rich.
There is another way. And it’s not “positive thinking” either. Because that would just be a fakey, rah-rah, cheerleading sort of approach which still assumes that you need to be pumped up and LOVE yourself to get somewhere. To get thin.
The greatest doorway to freedom for me has been, instead of condemning myself to long-term punishment, to look with depth at what I am really thinking repeatedly and finding out what is going on in those moments.
This is gettin’ down and dirty with the ugly, immature, stupid beliefs.
The belief “I should be thinner” can be mildly annoying or really sickeningly painful and very, very old.
Let’s look at it. First of all, can you absolutely know that it’s true? YES YES YES!! Screams from the balcony, the stadium, your family, your mirror, your grandparents, all the way from Hollywood! OMG of COURSE you should be thinner, are you kidding me?!!
Really ask again. I mean, in the big scheme of things beyond all this, can you know without a doubt that right now you should be thinner? You may still answer yes. That’s good….you thought about it for real, instead of just assuming it’s true.
You see how you react when you believe this thought: irritable, you make dieting plans, you despair of dieting plans, you try to ignore the thought, you hate yourself, you’re disgusted, you try to forget about it, you say “it’s not THAT bad”, you consider yourself superficial, you get tired just thinking about what you would have to do to get there. Starve and exert more energy.
And then…who would you be without the thought in your mind at all? Like other parts of the day when you’re not even thinking about it? Maybe you would notice that there are some other disturbing thoughts present. Some big ones that feel a little more foreboding.
You might notice that you could ask yourself a little more deeply WHY you should be thinner. I mean, what’s the problem here?
I should be thinner because then…WHY? My lover will stay with me, my spouse will never leave me, my friends will admire me, my boss and co-workers will be amazed by me, everyone will be attracted to me, my health will be superb, I won’t have “x” disease, I will feel fabulous, I will get more sex, I will have more energy, I will be more successful, I will make more money, I will be more secure, I will look stronger and younger which means people will find me appealing, I will stop having to think about this. Ever.
Phew. That’s a lot to put on thinness.
When we turn the thought around it becomes: my THINKING should be thinner….I mean really. I’ve believed that thinness meant so very much, the thinking has been thick and profuse and chaotic and fast. Yes, my thinking should slow down, relax and thin itself out.
Another turnaround is: I should NOT be thinner, I should be just the size I am. What if you allowed everything to be about your body, right now? What if you closed your eyes and just felt this body, and treated it kindly, without looking at it or caring how it turned out? Isn’t that what we all really want? Total freedom?
“I once worked with a woman in Jerusalem. Her religion was ‘I should have thin thighs’; she thought that’s what would give her what she wanted in life. She was the cutest! And she just wasn’t willing to do The Work; she couldn’t go inside for an honest answer, because she was terrified that if she answered honestly, she’d end up with fat thighs. She thought she needed fear as a motivation to exercise and eat right. It was obvious she preferred thin thighs to freedom.”~Byron Katie
When I began to realize that I don’t, in fact, actually care if I am thin or fat or round or sharp-edged…and what I really really want is the truth….then I became free to live in peace. To not grab for things when I’m not hungry (that isn’t the truth) and not force myself NOT to eat when I AM hungry (that isn’t the truth).
Simply being gentle with myself, moment to moment, at meals, with food, eating, tasting, smelling, hunger, fullness, slowing down. Not panicking or judging it as wrong. Waiting, breathing. Questioning other painful, difficult beliefs. Knowing I can “live” through any troubling or strong emotion.
I discovered what I used to believe thinness was going to bring me: love, joy, fun, pleasure, admiration, approval. Only all of these, already here. For myself. Whatever the weight.
The wonderful news is: you don’t have to be in 100% all-out full blown joy, love, pleasure and approval ALL THE TIME to be free from the burden of thinking about your weight.
All you need is a tiny drop of inquiry, willingness to drop your religion about the body and its appearance, and you will gently wake up.
That mundane, stupid, ridiculous series of beliefs about thinness that I had for years and years? They were my path to freedom.
“When they believe their thoughts, people divide reality into opposites. They think that only certain things are beautiful. But to a clear mind, everything in the world is beautiful in its own way.” ~ Byron Katie
Thoughts and Quotes for Today 1.28.14 January 28, 2014
1. We simply do what is in front of us to do at any given time. We watch it all unfold without regrets or expectations – without trying to understand it, give it meaning, or judge it in any way. And regardless of what may seem to be happening, we abide in the peace of an awareness of our eternally changeless reality.
2. It’s not that bad things don’t seem to happen anymore. After enlightenment bad things still “seem” to happen. It’s just that we no longer judge whether it is good or bad, and so to us it is neither. We simply accept whatever seems to be happening knowing that nothing is happening, and we are not even the one it may seem to be happening to.
3. Do not judge another as being unworthy of love, for you are judging yourself. Do not compare or compete. Who are you comparing? Who are you competing against? There is only you. Be gentle, patient, kind and tolerant. Let your words reflect only mercy. Teach only love. See the perfection in another (the Christ) and you will find it in yourself.
4. Judgment is when I see in a way that would have me believe in what is not true – in a way that would have me withhold love.
5. We are awake in the dream when we know that it is just dreaming and we are no longer deceived – we no longer give it meaning or judge it in any way. Awake enough to see glimmerings of light beyond the appearances and to feel the joy associated with our awareness of an inner radiance. Awake enough to be aware of Love.
6. We are manifesting things and experiences all of the time. That’s what dreamers do. But most of it is according to old default settings. Our fears, judgments, guilt and grievances have been a part of us for so long that we are not aware of what our minds are doing and manifesting. It takes some willingness and vigilance to become aware and to change – to choose Peace, Love and Gratitude each moment. Thanks Benny
Thoughts and Quotes for Today 11.12.13 November 12, 2013
1. Very IMPORTANT REMINDER from Wayne Dyer… Work hard at not using comparisons in (ALL) your relationships. Expecting anyone else to conform to the standards of others does not encourage self-esteem or individuality.
2. Here is a wonderful Link for Random Acts of Kindness that made a difference, we can question our belief systems about how the world “sucks” or is getting worse… it’s simply not TRUE… We can Gather the evidence of how we WANT to feel today instead of how we DON’T want to feel about the world we see…
3. “I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind.” ~ Khalil Gibran
4. Feeling upset, misunderstood and unfairly treated? What a wonderful opportunity choose again – to take a great stride forward in our spiritual practice! We can watch it all shift when we choose Peace and extend Love instead of choosing what we have always done before. We can watch it all shift when we choose to be defenseless – when we choose to laugh it away instead of building walls and mounting a counter attack.
5. Time is an illusion. How can it be wasted? And yet, it is wasted each moment that I am fearful instead of abiding in an awareness of the eternal love and joy that I am. Delay of joy is needless. I will not look to the future for my happiness. Now is the only time there is. Now is the time that I accept Love and Joy that I am.
Thoughts and Quotes for Today 4.9.13 April 9, 2013
1. Live a Life of Love and Love the Life you live….
2. The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be… ~ Emerson
3. Trust yourSelf…. Create the kind of self that you will Be Happy to live with all your life… Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, Inner Sparks (Authentic Self/Divine Nature) of possibility into flames of Achievement. ~ Golda Meir
4. The Caterpillar knew the Best was yet to come…
5. Doing what you Love allows your Spirit to Soar!!!